MCU popularity perceptions
- Atmel 8-bit AVR
- Cypress Semiconductor PSoC 1 Programmable System-on-Chip
- Freescale Semiconductor Motorola MC6800
- Infineon Technologies TriCore (TCxxxx) MCU
- Microchip Technology PIC16 MCU
- Silicon Laboratories C8051F33x
- STMicroelectronics STM32
- Texas Instruments MSP430
Using this list, we asked readers which of these they felt were the most popular in a decidely non-scientific opinion poll - and one fraught with different interpretations. I view this as a simple snapshot of which families have managed to gain heightened visibility over the years - but we didn't ask in this quick poll if the perception corresponded to actual preference for that MCU family. Nonetheless, with the caveat that this is just a quick snapshot of perception of MCU popularity, we summarize the results of the poll below.
Figure. Responses to the question: "Which of the following MCU familes would you say is the most popular?"