Portable medical devices become smaller, smarter with TI’s new signal-chain-on-chip MCUs
MSP430FG47x MCUs provide ultra-low power, high performance and analog peripherals for efficient development of reliable, low-cost medical products
DALLAS (April 21, 2009) – To quickly and efficiently develop reliable, convenient and low-cost medical devices, engineers require microcontrollers (MCUs) that provide low power consumption, high performance and targeted peripheral integration. Addressing this need, Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NYSE: TXN) today announced the new MSP430FG47x ultra-low power MCU series. The FG47x MCUs offer on-chip integration of the complete signal chain, reducing design complexity and resulting in significant space and cost savings. These devices will help developers improve the quality and accessibility of healthcare through products such as blood glucose meters, digital thermometers, pulse oximeters and blood pressure/heart rate monitors. For more information, please visit www.ti.com/430medicalpr.
MSP430FG47x key features and benefits
• Complete signal chain integrated on chip, consisting of two configurable op amps, 12-bit digital-to-analog converter (DAC), comparator and 16-bit analog-to-digital converter (ADC), reduces board space, bill of materials and time to market
• 16-bit Sigma-Delta ADC for applications that require high-resolution signal conversion
• 128-segment LCD driver with contrast control for convenient diagnostic display
• Multiple memory options available: up to 60KB flash and 2KB RAM for easy programmability
• Enhanced portability with ultra-low power consumption of the MSP430 MCUs, extending battery life to 20+ years
• Integrated intelligent peripherals on MSP430 MCUs provide high performance and consume no power when not in operation
• Two package options to meet various printed circuit board (PCB) size requirements: 80-pin QFP or 113-ball BGA, which measures only 7.1 x 7.1 mm
The FG47x devices are the newest addition to TI’s broad MCU portfolio for medical applications. TI offers a full-range of embedded processing and complementary analog solutions that help designers create more flexible, affordable and convenient medical devices that improve diagnostics and increase accessibility. The ultra-low power consumption of TI’s MCU solutions enhances portability for easier monitoring and treatment of chronic conditions.
Pricing and availability
FG47x MCUs are currently available and start at $5.50 (1K unit pricing). They are fully compatible with the $149 MSP-FET430U100 and the $99 MSP-FET430UIF flash emulation tool kits, speeding development and time to market. In addition, the ultra-low power consumption, performance and integration of the FG47x MCUs make the devices suitable for industrial sensors and handheld instrumentation.
Find out more about TI’s MSP430FG47x by visiting the links below:
• TI MCU medical solutions: www.ti.com/430medicalpr
• MSP430FG47x product folder: www.ti.com/fg47x
• TI medical solutions: www.ti.com/medical
• TI MSP430: www.ti.com/msp430
• MSP430 tools page: www.ti.com/msp430tools
• TI’s microcontrollers: www.ti.com/mcu
• MCU tools videos: http://community.ti.com/media/g/microcontrollers/default.aspx
• TI E2E MCU community: https://community.ti.com/forums/35.aspx
• TI eStore: www.ti.com/estore
• TInergy: http://TInergy.ti.com
• Follow TI on Twitter: www.twitter.com/txinstruments
# # #
About medical components from Texas Instruments
TI is helping shape technology to improve the quality and accessibility of medical equipment to revolutionize healthcare in the 21st century and beyond. With its full range of analog and embedded processing products, from building blocks to complete semiconductor solutions, plus systems insight, global support infrastructure, advanced process technology and medical industry involvement, TI is helping make innovative medical electronics more flexible, affordable and accessible. TI’s experience in diverse markets, such as wireless communications, consumer electronics, automotive and aerospace, enables engineers to meet increasing needs for higher speeds, higher precision, lower power and smaller equipment, while maintaining the high standards for quality and reliability that the medical market demands. For more information, please visit www.ti.com/medical.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments (NYSE: TXN) helps customers solve problems and develop new electronics that make the world smarter, healthier, safer, greener and more fun. A global semiconductor company, TI innovates through design, sales and manufacturing operations in more than 30 countries. For more information, go to www.ti.com.
For more information: http://www.ti.com