Freescale's multicore Vybrid platform brings integration to auto center console
- June 19, 2012
Cost and space constraints are usually the reasons given for not including features like connected radios, infotainment systems, and reconfigurable instrument clusters to sub-luxury-level automobiles. However, with the mandatory backup camera regulations gearing up for 2014/2015 for all cars in the US, these features will no longer be nice-to-have but rather must-have.
Freescale is addressing this new landscape of automotive capabilities by extending its ARMv7-compatible Vybrid controller into the automotive market with silicon-enabled software for these in-cabin features.
As an example, backup cameras for low-end cars are often decried by the auto manufacturers as being too expensive for the market. The Vybrid controller supports both analog inputs from the less-expensive analog camera, while still handling more sophisticated digital camera input, allowing the platform to serve the whole range of automotive design from entry-level to luxury product lines.
The automotive version of the Vybrid platform includes:
- Unique dual-core (Cortex-A5 + Cortex-M4) architecture allows Vybrid automotive solutions to handle both MCU and MPU tasks on a single chip, providing performance of over 850 DMIPs.
- Integrated video ADC for direct connection of one or more analog cameras to ensure lowest system cost and easy conformance to upcoming mandates requiring rear view cameras for safety purposes.
- 1.5 MB on-chip SRAM and multiple package options provide scalability, from low-cost, basic connected radios without external DRAM up to entry-level infotainment systems with dual displays.
- 2D-ACE and integrated OpenVG hardware acceleration reduces memory requirements and provides advanced user interfaces.
- Standard vehicle connectivity is provided through integrated CAN controllers, MLB, UART/LIN and Ethernet with IEEE 1588 support.
- Dual USB 2.0 on-the-go (OTG) controllers with integrated PHY and a large variety of serial interfaces such as UART, SPI, and I2S provide connectivity to consumer electronic devices such as smartphones, tablets and Bluetooth-enabled devices.
- Vybrid VF series devices are included in Freescale's product longevity program, with assured supply for a minimum of 10 years. For terms and conditions and to obtain a list of available products, visit freescale.com/productlongevity.