Microsemi expands SiC power module products
Staff - January 27, 2013
Microsemi Corp. has started to sample a new generation of industrial temperature, silicon carbide (SiC) standard power modules aimed at high-power switch mode power supplies, motor drives, uninterruptible power supplies, solar inverters, oil exploration and other high power, high voltage industrial applications requiring high performance and reliability.
The power module family is also offered with extended temperature ranges to meet next-generation power conversion system requirements for higher power densities, operating frequencies and efficiencies.
SiC technology delivers higher breakdown field strength and improved thermal conductivity compared to silicon material. This enables improved performance characteristics in parameters including zero reverse recovery, temperature independent behavior, higher voltage capability and higher temperature operation to achieve new levels of performance, efficiency and reliability.
Microsemi's new industrial temperature SiC power modules feature multiple circuit topologies and are integrated into low profile packages. The majority of the new module product family uses aluminum nitride (AIN) substrates to enable isolation from the heat sink, which improves heat transfer to the cooling system.
Additional features include high speed switching, low switching losses, low input capacitance, low drive requirements, low profile and minimum parasitic inductance which enable high frequency, high performance, high density and energy-saving power systems.
The new industrial temperature module family includes the following parameters and devices:
- 1200V boost chopper configuration, rated from 50 to 100 amp (Part numbers: APT100MC120JCU2 and APT50MC120JCU2)
- 1200V phase leg configuration, rated from 40 to 200 amp (Part numbers: APTMC120AM08CD3AG, APTMC120AM20CT1AG, and APTMC120AM55CT1AG)
- 600V neutral point clamped configuration, dedicated to three level inverters for solar or UPS applications, rated from 20 to 160 amp (Part numbers: APTMC60TLM14CAG, APTMC60TLM20CT3AG, APTMC60TLM55CT3AG, and APTMC60TL11CT3AG)
- Neutral point clamped configuration, 600V/1200V mixed voltage, rated from 20 to 50 amp (Part numbers: APTMC120HRM40CT3G and APTMC120HR11CT3G)
- Microsemi's SiC product portfolio includes Schottky diodes in both discrete and module packages, and power modules with a mix of SiC Schottky diodes and IGBT or MOSFET transistors in both standard and custom configurations.
APT100MC120JCU2 datasheet (PDF, at RichardsonRFPD)
APT50MC120JCU2 datasheet (PDF, at RichardsonRFPD)
APTMC120AM08CD3AG datasheet (PDF, at RichardsonRFPD)
APTMC120AM20CT1AG datasheet (PDF, at RichardsonRFPD)
APTMC120AM55CT1AG datasheet (PDF, at RichardsonRFPD)
APTMC60TLM14CAG datasheet (PDF, at RichardsonRFPD)
APTMC60TLM20CT3AG datasheet (PDF, at RichardsonRFPD)
APTMC60TLM55CT3AG datasheet (PDF, at RichardsonRFPD)
APTMC60TL11CT3AG datasheet (PDF, at RichardsonRFPD)
APTMC120HRM40CT3G datasheet (PDF, at RichardsonRFPD)
APTMC120HR11CT3G information page (at RichardsonRFPD)
Find more datasheets on products like these at Datasheets.com, searchable by category, part #, description, manufacturer, and more.
Don't miss out on the latest products. Subscribe to EDN's weekly Products & Tools newsletter (free registration) for the latest product announcements and news.
This article originally appeared on EE Times.