EMC Band plays first outdoor gig
The 2017 IEEE EMC+SIPI Symposium took place in National Harbor, Maryland from August 6-11, 2017. As has become tradition, the EMC Society Band played again, this year at the Welcome reception on Tuesday, August 8.
Led by multi-instrumentalist Jeff Silberberg, the band played 23 songs over two hours. For the first time, the band played outdoors, with the Potomac River as a backdrop. Musicians for 2017 were:
- Jeff Silberberg, electric and acoustic guitar, bass, drums, tenor sax, soprano sax, whistle, and vocals
- John McCloskey, bass and electric guitar
- Benoit Nadeau, electric guitar, bass, and vocals
- Lisa Maynard, vocals and percussio
- Caroline Chan, vocals
- Tao Wang, violin
- Beatrice Wang, violin
- Lou Feudi, vocals
- Kenneth Wyatt, drums (first hour)
- Mark Maynard, drums (second hour)
- Mike Violette, acoustic guitar and vocals
- Julius (Julie) Knapp, keyboards, guitar, and vocals
- Martin Rowe, acoustic guitar and vocals
- Fred Heather, sound engineer
The set list:
- Blue Bayou
- The Lab in the Corner
- The Measurement Blues
- Proud Mary
- Hooked on a Feeling
- Soul Man
- Heart of Rock 'n' Roll
- Bach Violin Double Concerto in Dm Movement 1
- Have to say I Love You
- Tian mi mi
- I Would Walk 500 Miles
- Queen of Hearts
- Boulevard of Broken Dreams
- Purple Haze
- Love Me Two Times
- EMI Busters
- My House
- Uptown Funk
- California Dreaming
- Strawberry Wine
- Sittin’ on the Dock of the Bay
Lisa Maynard sings "Blue Bayou" accompanied by Jeff Silberberg (guitar), Ken Wyatt (drums), and John McCloskey (bass).
Benoit Nadeau sings and plays guitar on "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" with Jeff Silberberg (guitar), Mike Maynard (drums), John McCloskey (bass), Julie Knapp (keyboards) and Lisa Maynard (percussion).
Mike Violette, General Chair of the 2017 IEEE EMC+SIPI Symposium, played guitar on "I Would Walk 500 Miles."
For the first time, classical music appeared with the EMC Society Band. Here, Tao and Beatrice Wang played violin on "Violin Double Concerto in D minor Movement 1" by Johann Sebastian Bach.
Caroline Chan sang "Tian Mi Mi" accompanied by Mike Violette (guitar and vocals), Jeff Silberberg (whistle) Tao Wang (violin), and Julie Knapp (keyboards).
Julie Knapp played keyboards on almost every song, singing lead on John Lennon's "Imagine."
Lou Feudi Sings "Sittin' in the Dock of the Bay" with Benoit Nadeau (bass), Jeff Silberberg (tenor sax), John McCloskey (guitar), Julie Knapp (keyboards), Mark Maynard (drums), and Lisa Maynard (percussion).
Long Beach, 2018
New Orleans, 2019
- EMC engineers pull off a good gig
- The day the EMC music died
- Engineering and music share common threads
- Bach for Engineers
- Music to your ears
- How to get an "A" in music