Keysight BERT now supports 64 Gbaud NRZ
This product is featured in EDN's Hot 100 products of 2017. See all 100 here.
Selected as an EDN Hot 100 Product of 2016, the Keysight M8040A adds 64 Gbit/s NRZ signal analysis to the already implemented 64 Gbaud (112 Gbits/s) PAM-4 signaling, which is available as an option. Other enhancements include clock recovery and an equalizer.
The M8040A is a modular system based on the AXIe platform that includes signal analyzer and pattern generator modules in a chassis. PC software controls the instrument over a USB link. It's available in two versions, one for signals up to 32 Gbaud, the other for signal up to 64 Gbaud.
An equalizer is now part of the M8040A, which provides:
- Up to 13 dB at 32.4 Gbaud NRZ
- Up to 5 dB at 30 Gbaud PAM-4
- Up to 4 dB at 26.5625 Gbaud PAM-4
- FFE with 15 presets
- For symbol rates above 32 Gbaud:
- Up to 3 dB at 58 Gb/s for NRZ signals. (requires M8046A-0A3 and -A64 options)
The pattern generator also adds de-emphasis to signals through a de-emphasis through a four-tap FIR filter, which emulates losses in transmission paths for receiver testing. It also adds calibrated jitter to signals, for receiver stress testing.
Prices start at $323,000, which gets you 32 NRZ Gbaud speeds with one channel. PAM-4 (32 Gbaud and 64 Gbaud), 64 Gbaud NRZ, and a second channel are optional. The second channel lets you test for crosstalk conditions.
Keysight Technologies, M8040A product page.
- BERT takes on 400 Gbps links
- PAM-4 PCB best practices
- PAM4 challenges at DesignCon 2016
- Serial Links Rev Up to 56 Gbit/s
- When will PAM4 take over from NRZ?